Image of the construction of Fort Des Moines, year unknown. At the end of the 19th Century it was decided that Fort Des Moines should be moved from the junction of the Des Moines and Raccoon rivers to the intersection of Midwestern railroads. In 1903 the third Fort Des Moines was dedicated about 4 miles south of downtown. In 1917 it was the site of the U.S. Army’s first officer training program open to African-Americans. During World War II, the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) were established at the fort. In 1949 Fort Des Moines became a training center for the Army Reserve, and still is used for this today. In 1976 Fort Des Moines became a National Historic Landmark.
U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org