Various views of Drake University as it appeared in 1904. Prominent in many of the images is Old Main, built in 1883. The Medical Building was built in 1904. It was located downtown, on Center Street, on land that is now used by Hy-Vee Hall. Science Hall sat on University Avenue, near 28th street. It was built in 1893 and was known as Alumni Hall, Science Hall, and finally Sage Hall. It was torn down in 1949. The Conservatory of music was built in 1903. It was later renamed Howard Hall. Old Main and Howard hall are both still standing and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Also pictured is the University’s namesake and founder, General Francis Marion Drake. For many years General Drake was the university’s primary donor for both buildings and endowment. He provided all of the funds for the construction of the Auditorium and for Howard Hall. He was also the chief donor for the Medical Building. General Drake passed away in 1903.