This was the second of three buildings that have been called The Savery. The first structure closed in 1878. This second building opened at a new location in 1888 to much fanfare. The entire building was lit by electric light, quite a novelty in 1888. The Savery housed the Des Moines Chamber of Commerce and was the center of all things political in Iowa. This building was torn down and a new Savery Hotel was built on the site in 1919.