This is a view looking northwest towards Science Hall at Drake University. Science Hall sat on University Avenue, near 28th street. It was built in 1893 and was known as Alumni Hall, Science Hall, and finally Sage Hall. The observation tower held an 8 1/2 inch refractive telescope donated by General Francis Marion Drake. As the tower aged and industrial smoke began to block views of the sky, the telescope was moved to the Drake Municipal Observatory in Waveland Park. The building was razed in 1949 to make way for a new science hall, the Harvey Ingham Building.
U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org