The cornerstone of the Capitol Building was laid on November 23, 1871. The building was completed in 1886. Unfortunately, there was no money left in the budget to finish the decorative painting of the interior of the building. In 1904 a fire broke out in the north wing of the capitol, causing considerable damage. During the post fire restoration paintings and mosaics were purchased and the decorative painting in the corridors was completed. Iowa State Capitol is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org