This view from the Fleming Building faces northeast toward Locust Street. The Fleming Building was built in 1909 and still stands on 6th Avenue. The building with the tower is the Observatory Building, which was one of the tallest buildings in the Midwest at the time. To the left of the Observatory Building, sporting the decorative roof, stands the Savery Hotel. This building was razed and a new Savery Hotel was built on the same site in 1919. In the background, the Des Moines Coliseum, the Municipal Building, and the state capitol are all visible. The Fleming Building, the Iowa State Capitol, and the Municipal Building are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
U.S. and International copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact: email@example.com